*Yields 2 Cups( 1 serving)
Per Serving: Calories 216, Protein 9g, Total Fat 11g, Carbs 6g
- 3 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup splenda
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 oz spiced rum
- 1 tbsp ground nutmeg, for garnish
- Heat 2-1/2 cups almond milk in a medium saucepan. Add the vanilla extract to the saucepan and simmer over medium heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, splenda and cornstarch until it turns light yellow. Temper the eggs by gradually pouring the hot milk mixture, about 1 cup at a time, into the egg mixture, whisking constantly (this is important, otherwise you’ll make scrambled eggs).
- Pour the mixture back into the pan. Place over medium heat and stir constantly with a wooden spoon until it begins to thicken, about 6-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and immediately stir in the remaining 1/2 cup milk to stop the cooking.
- Let it cool and transfer to a pitcher, add rum and chill until ready to serve.