Per Serving(about 1.3 cups): Calories 247, Protein 25g, Total Fat 7.3g, Carbs 23g, Fiber 4.8g
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 pound (raw) boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 1 large breast)
- 5 cups chicken broth, plus additional if needed
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 ounces (uncooked) dry gemelli or penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Chopped fresh basil or parsley, for garnish
- In slow cooker, stir together garlic, bell pepper, onion, tomatoes, chicken, broth, 1/2 cup cheese, basil, oregano, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook on high 3-1/2 hours or on low 7 hours.
- Transfer chicken to cutting board and use forks to coarsely shred; return to slow cooker. Stir in pasta. Cook on high 20-30 minutes longer or until pasta is cooked al dente.
- If soup becomes too thick after pasta is cooked, stir in additional broth or water until desired consistency is reached, and warm through.
- Serve garnished with extra Parmesan cheese and chopped basil or parsley.